Because RGP lenses are resistant to deposits they require less care than soft lenses. However, proper lens care is a key ingredient in successful contact lens wear. To care for your RGP lenses, you should use the following lens care products:
- Daily Cleaner
- Soaking (disinfecting) Solution
- Wetting Solution
- Enzyme cleaner
Tips on RGP contact lens care:
- Any time a contact lens is removed from the eye it must be cleaned and disinfected before being reinserted.
- Your fitter may recommend occasional enzyme cleaning to digest any protein on your lenses. Some patients deposit more protein on their lenses than others, so not all RGP lenses need enzyme treatment. (Enzyme cleaning is particularly helpful to patients with GPC or allergies.)
- Tap water should never be used to clean or store your lenses.
- Wetting solutions increase RGP lens comfort by cushioning the cornea as the lens is inserted.
The above information is taken, with some revision, from the CLAO Patient Information Pamphlet titled RIGID GAS PERMEABLE CONTACT LENSES. Pamphlet Advisor was Richard G. Lembach, MD. Copyright 1994-2004, Contact Lens Association of Ophthalmologists, Inc. Thanks to Contact Lens Docs for content used in the creation of this website. All rights reserved. Reproduction other than for one-time personal use is strictly prohibited.